Perfect for treating your favorite person to breakfast in bed, this recipe for oven-baked French toast is deliciously easy with just the right amount of sweet and savory. With a sweet drizzle of maple syrup and a slight crunch from sliced almonds, this decadent breakfast will have your sweetie thinking you spent hours slaving away in the kitchen.
- 8 slices white bread
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 6 ounces room-temperature cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jelly
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Maple syrup
- Slivered almonds
- Whip together the eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla in a medium mixing bowl until the mixture is frothy and smooth. Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Now smooth together the room-temperature cream cheese and strawberry jelly. Blueberry, blackberry, or raspberry jelly would be delicious, too.
- Coat a large sheet pan with vegetable oil.
- Spread one quarter of the cream cheese mixture onto one slice of bread and then top with another slice, pressing slightly to help them hold together.
- Dip the bread in the egg mixture, turning to coat evenly, and place on the sheet pan. Continue making the rest of the stuffed French toast slices.
- Bake for seven to 10 minutes on each side and then remove from the oven.
- Serve with a pat of butter, drizzle of maple syrup and a sprinkling of sliced almonds.
Makes 4 slices of stuffed French toast.